Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Misquoted


This is a mobile upload. I had to take it. When I read it, I couldn't help but laugh. A lesson in the colloquial quote, if you will.

Translation of the sign above: Please, but not really, refrain from using your fake cell phones (though how you might use a fake cell phone is beyond me) during a transaction. Thank you for following the request we couldn't make because it was an impossible request to extend.

Probable desired translation: We would really appreciate and prefer if you did not use your cell phones when dealing with our tellers.

Rewrite option: Lose the quotes.

The whole message just reminded me of Joey, on "FRIENDS" (quotes are okay here because it is the name of a television show, though I could argue for italics instead), apologizing to Ross. I'm "sorry." Not using them right, Joe.

Message to local Wamu branch: Not using them right, Wamu.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Oy. This makes my eyes hurt.

Who in the world thought those quotes were a good idea?!